The University of Pittsburgh, School of Education offers a post-baccalaureate program for Secondary Science teacher certification (grades 7-12). Certification Studies are available in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science, and General Science. Certification in more than one science is also available. Details are outlined below.
- satisfies the requirements for a Pennsylvania Instructional I Certificate (pending passing scores on the national PRAXIS II Exam, successful completion of the PA Statewide Evaluation Form for Student Professional Knowledge and Practice (PDE 430), and satisfactory performance in courses and student teaching)
- can be completed in two terms (fall and spring) of 15 credit hours each
- can be designed to accommodate part-time students
- requires 10 hours per week at a local school district in the fall term and a full-time student teaching experience in the spring term
- requires obtaining all Federal and PA state clearances before entering schools
- contains 18 credits which can be applied within three years toward a Master of Education degree
- students may apply for financial aid