Students gaining admission to the Special Education Pre K – Grade 8 program typically start courses in late June (Summer Session II). Applications are reviewed starting January 15th and acceptance decisions are made no later than April 15th. Students pursuing a MEd degree in addition to their certification program follow the same timeline. Before making application to the Program, we suggest you contact Dr. Amy Srsic at email@example.com or by calling 412-648-1998 for further details. We will consider alternate start dates when possible.
Please Note: Evidence of a clear Act 33/151-PA Child Abuse History Clearance form, a clear Act 34-PA State Police Criminal Record Check form, and a clear Federal Fingerprinting form are required before beginning any practicum in a public or private school. Forms may be obtained by contacting Dr. Amy Srsic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Completed School of Education Admissions Application.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) by credit card, check, or money order payable to 'University of Pittsburgh'.
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended.
- Official, third-party evaluation of all international transcripts for applicants who have not received a master's degree within the United States. We strongly recommend using World Education Services (WES) to complete this service.
- Earned a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university (applications from students who plan to earn their undergraduate degree before the term of admission will be considered).
- A minimum 3.0 overall undergraduate QPA (or receive conditional admission contingent upon maintaining a 3.0 QPA or higher after 12 or more credits of post-baccalaureate coursework).
- Evidence of an earned Elementary, Pre-K-4 General Education, 4-8 General Education, or Reading Specialist certificate.
- Completed the appropriate number of prerequisite credit hours in Academic Prerequisites.
- Copy of the spring registration form if enrolled in spring term courses.
- Three letters of academic and/or professional recommendation.
- A thoughtful, clearly written goal statement of two to three double-spaced typewritten pages.
- A resume, including volunteer work.
- Online Transcript Review.
- Completed Intake Worksheet.
- Applications are reviewed starting January 15th