Admissions for Master's in Social Work with a Certificate of Advanced Study in Teaching in Secondary Education
- Completed School of Education Admissions Application.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) by credit card, check, or money order payable to 'University of Pittsburgh'.
- An official transcript from each institution attended.
- Official, third-party evaluation of all international transcripts for applicants who have not received a master's degree within the United States. We strongly recommend using World Education Services (WES) to complete this service. Please note that per PDE requirements, an individual pursuing teacher certification in this area must be a citizen of the United States or hold a resident alien visa (green card); additionally, the individual must have filed a declaration of intent to become a citizen.
- An undergraduate degree with a minimum QPA of 3.0.
- A copy of the spring registration form if enrolled in spring term courses.
- Completion of the appropriate number of prerequisite credits.
- Three letters of academic/professional recommendation.
- A thoughtful, clearly written goal statement of at least two to three double-spaced typewritten pages.
- A résumé.
- Documentation of 30 hours of experience working with K-12 children (adolescents are preferred). Applicants may fulfill the requirements for experiences with children by working at summer camps, teaching Sunday School, Hebrew School, or the equivalent, tutoring, or doing other volunteer or paid work with children. Graduate Enrollment Managers in the School of Education will assist applicants in identifying appropriate experiences that will fulfill this admissions requirement. In addition, applicants may be admitted provisionally if they have not completed the requirement for experience with children. In such cases, the Coordinator of Field Placements in the Department of Instruction & Learning will provide students with a list of local partners with whom they can seek volunteer or paid positions working with children.
- Completion of an admissions interview. Interviews may be face-to-face or conducted via Skype for students who are unable to travel to campus.
- For Foreign Language applicants only, a rating of Advanced-Low or above in an ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) in the language of certification (for an interview, call ACTFL headquarters at 1-800-486-8444).
- January 15
There are merit scholarships available for students who apply early.