A minor in Quantitative Research Methodology is awarded to students who successfully complete a minimum of 18 credits of intermediate and advanced quantitative research methodology course work in the Research Methodology program in the Department of Psychology in Education. The course work must be distributed as follows:
- A minimum of 6 credits in statistical methods.
- A minimum of 3 credits in measurement.
- A minimum of 3 credits in research design.
All courses a student wishes to apply toward the minor must be (a) taken in the Department of Psychology in Education and (b) completed with a minimum quality point average of 3.25. A comprehensive examination for the minor is not required. Courses may not be transferred from outside the Research Methodology program. Courses that are cross-listed with another department must be taken by registering under a PSYED course number. Since the specific courses a student takes are up to the student, no exceptions to the distribution requirement are granted.
Steps for Progressing Through the Minor
Listed below are the steps to be followed for a minor in Quantitative Research Methodology within the Department of Psychology in Education.
- A minor advisor is arranged. A student who wants to minor in Quantitative Research Methodology asks a Research Methodology faculty member to serve as the minor advisor. If a student does not know a Research Methodology faculty member, the Program Coordina¬tor should be contacted and a minor advisor will be appointed.
- A proposed Plan of Studies for the minor is developed by the student and the minor advisor. The form used for this purpose can be obtained from a Research Methodology faculty member.
- The proposed Plan of Studies is submitted by the minor advisor to the Research Methodology faculty for approval. Approval of the proposed Plan of Studies constitutes its acceptance.
- When the courses on the approved Plan of Studies have been completed with a quality point average of at least 3.25, the minor is certified by the Research Methodology Program Coordinator.