LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: 10 minutes
: Whole group
Students will actively use the word wall to identify words in text. This enables them to recognize high frequency words in context.
- While writing the morning message, be sure to include the targeted high frequency words from the word wall.
- After reading the morning message, a student will come to the morning message and circle the targeted word.
- Then add that word to the word wall. (This step is done on day one.)
- The next day, repeat, but this time the student will find the targeted word in the morning message as well as from the word wall.
- Your word wall must be at the children's level.
- Prior learning of the use of the word wall is necessary.
- Several targeted words may be used during one lesson.