LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: Whole group or small group
The purpose of this activity is for students to practice sight word vocabulary or word wall words. This offers students an opportunity to practice these words in a whole or small group setting.
- Yellow paper cut in the shape of bananas
- Stuffed animal (monkey, ape, or gorilla)
- Prepare the bananas by writing one sight word per banana.
- With the whole group, use the bananas as flash cards when introducing the new words.
- With a small group of children, have them sit in a circle and pass out the bananas around the circle.
- Children can then read the sight words to the monkey.
- This is a great activity to have as a learning center.
- The students will enjoy banana word time.