LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: 20 minutes
: Whole group
This strategy provides students with a tool to help figure out unknown words or words that they do not recognize by sight.
- Alphabet cards
- Lists of familiar words to blend in an oral fashion
- Use a fast-paced sing-along pattern. First, the letter's name is said aloud twice, then the sound of the letter is said aloud three times.
- Once you have done this for each letter in the word, give all sounds for that word in a row and then signal for students to say the word.
- Increase to longer words.
- When the sounds and spelling are familiar, then you can move this activity into a written format.
- Show "H" card, students say "H, H,/h/,/h/,/h/"
- Repeat for "O" card.
- Repeat for "T" card.
- Say the sounds all in a row: /h/, /o/, /t/.
- Give signal and students say "hot".
- This oral practice goes really well. The students enjoy the song. Have students take turns leading the group.
- Be aware, boredom may set in for the better readers.
For More Information about Blending: See Applying Letter-Sound Knowledge