LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: Whole group
In order to promote fluency by recognizing high frequency words, student can identify decodable vs. sight words from the word wall.
- Index cards or oak tag (in 2 colors)
- Word Wall
- Color-code the words on the word wall. Sight words are one color and decodable words are another.
- Explain the rationale to the students. Some words cannot be sounded out.
- This gives the student another strategy to use while they are reading or writing.
- Ideally the same 2 colors would be used on word walls throughout the school.
For More Information about Working with Word Walls see the Four Blocks