LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: Small group or partners work best
This activity not only demonstrates comprehension, but also integrates the arts.
- Selected book or story
- Video camera (if you wish to tape it)
- After students have completed reading the text, instruct each group that they are to act out the story. (Modeling and practice will be necessary!)
- Remind students that they should include the beginning, middle and end when they are retelling.
- Give the groups 5 minutes to plan and practice.
- Provide time for each group to share their version of the story.
Avoid turning this activity into a major production. With only 5 minutes to plan, students are forced to get their act together. (No pun intended.)