LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: 5-10 minutes
Strategy / Activity
(One question per finger)
- Who was the story about?
- Where did it take place?
- What happened at the beginning?
- What happened in the middle?
- What happened at the end of the story?
This strategy is a helpful reminder for students when they are asked to retell a story. By using this strategy, they can be sure to include the five major elements.
- Poster board or oak tag paper
- Introduce the 5 finger strategy and model it many times with the class.
- Display a poster of the hand prominently in your classroom. One question should be written on each digit of the hand.
- Provide a mini-version for each student.
- Share this idea with parents, so that it can be used at home.
- You may want to send a photocopied version home with each child.
- Writing on band-aids is really cute!