LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: 10 minutes (can be done before class begins)
This activity helps build a sense of reading for meaning. It can also build each child's vocabulary based on the children's individual needs and backgrounds.
- Index cards
- Storage system (large ring or shoe box)
- Each day, ask the student to identify a word that he/she would like to learn.
- Print the word on a card.
- In 5 days, the child will have 5 new words.
- You can then have the child read their personal words to a friend, teacher, or parent.
- You could also use the words for skill review, i.e. ask them to find certain words such as...any 3 syllable words or action words, words that begin with "m", etc.
Students enjoy having their own personal words.