LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: 5 minutes per student
: One-on-one with teacher, volunteer, or paraprofessional
By charting a fluency check, students can see their improvement over time as well as when they re-read text.
- Independent level text (text can be read independently by student)
- Student reads an independent level passage aloud for one minute.
- Count the words that were read correctly.
- Write the number on the chart. (Be sure to include the date so that the student can watch the progress.)
- Repeat the process later.
- Be sure to identify the results of the re-read on the chart.
- If possible this should be done on a regular basis.
- Older students could be responsible for their own graphing.