LEADERS Handbook of Early Literacy Strategies and Activities
: 30 minutes
: Whole group or small group
: 2 and up
The purpose of this activity is to help students understand the meaning of story vocabulary words.
- Story vocabulary words (one per large index card)
- Blank sentence strips
- With the whole group, introduce the vocabulary words, the pronunciation as well as the meaning.
- Explain that the students will be in groups and each group will be given a vocabulary word. It is the group's job to write the definition of their word and then share it with the whole group.
- Model this for all of the students, writing the definition on the blank sentence strip.
- Have each group then do the same with their vocabulary word.
- When all are finished, each group will share with the class.
- To ensure success, be careful which words you assign to the groups.
- Modeling is critical!