Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction
The newly redesigned supervisor of curriculum and instruction certificate program is an innovative model of preparation based on strategic practices and core content known to increase student learning and achievement. The program is intended to build the capacity of aspiring supervisors to work closely with school leaders to improve teacher effectiveness and thereby improve student learning. Drawing from the fields of education and management, the program equips the next generation of supervisors with expertise in instructional, supervisory, and curriculum leadership.
- Program Duration: Four terms (Summer, Fall, Spring, and Summer)
- Time Commitment: Part-time
- Term of Enrollment: Summer
- Application Deadline: Priority Deadline is March 1
- Course Requirements: 24 credits
Responding to the growing complexity of the of schools, the supervisor of curriculum and instruction will develop effective change agents through curricular blocks emphasizing:
- Executive-style seminar – instruction about topics essential for the preparation of school leaders is organized in the curricular blocks.
- Cohort Structure – A cohort structure provides a support base for professional growth and learning. Diversity in the cohort is sought and valued.
- Internships with Mentor Principals – Internship experiences are required of all participants during the academic year. Two internships are required for all participants: An elementary and a secondary internship each of at least 90hours of engagement. Principals are usually selected from the districts that we work with regularly that are members of the Tri-State Area School Study Council or the Forum for Western Pennsylvania School Superintendents Pennsylvania. Other opportunities to network with regional school leaders are made available.
- Mentor Principals – We will encourage aspiring school leaders to reach excellence by engaging them in a range of internship experience with high quality mentor principals. Mentor principals know how to support teachers, manage curriculum and instruction to promote student achievement, and transform schools into more effective organizations that foster purposeful teaching and learning for all students. Mentor principals oversee the development of the critical competencies that principals need to ensure a high-performance learning environment for all students.
Unique features of the program include:
- Off-campus cohorts at the Allegheny Intermediate Unit 3
- Curriculum designed to accommodate working professions through use of: Intensive Summer Leadership Institutes, Executive Course Formats, an Online Courses in fall and spring, hybrid seminars, and mentored internship experiences.
- The Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction certificate program is mostly online. The one-week Summer Institutes and the Internship will be face-to-face experiences.
A four credit internship (one credit a term) and fieldwork as part of the internship and coursework.
Minimum of two years full-time teaching experience is required.
- Supervisor of Curriculum
- Instruction K-12