Master of Education in English Education Online
The Master of Education in English Education is an online program that allows you to develop greater specialization of English/Language Arts Education. The program is designed to help beginning and experienced elementary and secondary teachers to acquire the concepts, skills, and attitudes of master teachers in their fields.
- Program Duration: Candidates must complete the degree within 5 years of starting the program. Most candidates complete the M.Ed. within 2 years.
- Time Commitment: Part time or Full Time
- Term of Enrollment: Rolling start date
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions
- Course Requirements: 36 credits
The Master of Education student prepares a Plan of Studies of a minimum of 36 credits including School of Education requirements for Basic Areas of Education (BAE) courses, a research seminar, required courses in a major field (specialization), and any additional departmental requirements. A comprehensive examination is also required.
Students will work with an English Education faculty advisor to develop a Plan of Studies in the major field that combines work in English Education courses, related studies in education, and related electives from across the university.
Students must complete a Comprehensive Exam. The comprehensive exam will consist of a take-home exam that will be evaluated by two faculty members from within the English Education program. The exam will be in the form of a PowerPoint presentation that the student could use to support his/her professional community, drawing on the work done during the program. The student will usually take this examination during his or her last term of study for the master's degree.
The purposes of the comprehensive exam are to:
- determine the student's eligibility to be awarded the master's degree
- provide some indication of the student's depth of knowledge in a selected field
- provide evidence of the student's ability to relate a content field to theoretical, research, or practical applications.
There are no specific prerequisites for this degree/certification, but interested students should verify that they fulfill the admissions requirements.
Students who have completed the English Education certification program at the University of Pittsburgh may transfer up to 18 graduate-level course credits from their certification coursework to the MEd program. Students should consult their advisors for the exact number of credits they can transfer.
The Master of Education in English Education online program is designed to help beginning and experienced elementary and secondary teachers acquire the concepts, skills, and attitudes of master teachers in their fields.