Master of Education in Reading Education
The Master of Education in Reading Education provides you with advanced and specialized knowledge in literacy education. Those who wish to have more choice in the development of their program may select this Master’s degree.
This program does not include the Reading Specialist certification. It is appropriate for candidates who are not interested or eligible to earn a Pennsylvania teaching certificate.
- Program Duration: 1 year (full-time students), 2-3 years (part-time students)
- Time Commitment: Full and Part-Time options
- Term of Enrollment: Rolling
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Course Requirements: 36 credits
Coursework is completed in a blended format of on-campus and online study. Upon completion of the program and successful performance on the comprehensive exam, candidates earn a Master of Education degree in the area of Reading Education.
Candidates in this program are not eligible to participate in the reading specialist practicum courses. Candidates must successfully complete a comprehensive exam to earn the M.Ed. degree.
- Children's Literature (3 credits)
- Teaching of Reading OR Language Arts (3 credits)
- Human Development OR Educational Psychology (3 credits)
Candidates may work with children in academic settings both inside and outside of schools. Some candidates enter EdD or PhD programs in the field of education or educational research.