The Special Education programs at the Pitt School of Education prepare you for a wide variety of roles and specializations in special education. There is a growing demand for professionals in this field in Pennsylvania and across the country. Our special education faculty are at the leading edge of research and practice, and have helped thousands of students to become special education professionals.
Special Education Teacher Preparation Programs
- Our Special Education Teacher Preparation (SETP) programs prepare special educators to teach children and youth with a range of disabilities. We emphasize the educational needs of students rather than assigning them categorical labels.
- Support and instruction can occur in a variety of settings, including special education classrooms and resource rooms, general education classrooms, and in the community. In addition to teaching, special education teachers may also assist in the assessment and identification of students in need of special education services, coordinate the development and implementation of individualized education programs, and collaborate with general educators.
- Our SETP programs include degree options that pair a Master of Education with teaching certificates and certificate-only options.
General Special Education Programs
These programs are for general educators who want to learn more about serving the needs of students with disabilities in their classroom and educators who hold Pennsylvania special education certifications.
Explore our Programs
Master's, Certification, and Endorsement Programs
- Master of Education in Special Education
- Master of Special Education with Academic Instruction Certificate (MOSAIC)
- Special Education PreK-8 Teacher Certification
- Special Education PreK-8 Teacher Certification and Master of Education
- Special Education 7-12 Teacher Certification and Master of Education
- Autism Spectrum Disorders Endorsement