Master of Education in Special Education
The Master of Education in Special Education is for students who wish to develop advanced expertise in the area of special education. Students take foundational courses and then courses in a specialty area of their choice. The program includes coursework in the psychological perspectives of education, research methods, social and cultural perspectives on education, and specialized program studies.
- Program Duration: 2 years (4 terms)
- Time Commitment: Full-time
- Term of Enrollment: Fall
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions
- Fall Deadline: Rolling admissions; however, priority given to applications received by March 1
- Spring Deadline: Rolling admissions; however, priority given to applications received by November 1
- Summer Deadline: Rolling admissions; however, priority given to applications received by March 1
- Course Requirements: 36 credits
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) degree is a professional degree for the graduate student who wishes to pursue advanced study in special education. Students will work with a faculty advisor to develop a curricular plan that combines work in Special Education and related studies in education. Students must pass a comprehensive exam prior to receiving the M.Ed. degree.
Students take courses in the Psychological Perspectives on Education, Research Methods, Social and Cultural Perspectives on Education, a Research Seminar in Special Education, electives from the School of Education, and specialty areas in Special Education. Specialty areas in special education include applied behavior analysis, special education teacher preparation, students with visual impairments, early intervention for children with disabilities, or supervision of special education.
- Students must complete a minimum of 36 credits meeting School of Education requirements for Basic Areas of Education courses, a three-credit research seminar, and elective courses in Special Education
- Students must pass a comprehensive exam prior to receiving the M.Ed. degree.
Foundations of Special Education (3 credits)
The program prepares students for careers as Special Education professionals.