The Special Education programs at the Pitt School of Education prepare you for a wide variety of roles and specializations in special education. There is a growing demand for professionals in this field in Pennsylvania and across the country. Our special education faculty are at the leading edge of research and practice, and have helped thousands of students to become special education professionals.
Support and instruction can occur in a variety of settings, including special education classrooms and resource rooms, general education classrooms, and in the community. In addition to teaching, special education teachers may also assist in the assessment and identification of students in need of special education services, coordinate the development and implementation of individualized education programs, and collaborate with general educators.
Explore our Programs
Master's and Certificate Programs
- Master of Education in PreK-12 Special Education
- Master of Special Education with Academic Instruction Certificate (MOSAIC)
- CASE Teacher Preparation
- Applied Behavior Analysis (Master's and/or Certificate options)
- Vision Studies (Master's and/or Certificate options)
- Supervisor of Special Education Certificate