We Strive for Well-Being for All
In this unprecedented time, the University of Pittsburgh School of Education is concerned about the safety, health, and well-being of our entire School community. Please visit www.coronavirus.pitt.edu for the latest information on the University's plans and responses.
This website contains resources specifically for our School of Education students, faculty, and staff.
Jump to a Section:
- Teaching and learning resources
- Remote work resources
- Information for students, faculty, and staff
- Chat & Check-Ins virtual coffee breaks
- Local, national, and global health resources
- School of Education Resource Guides (PDF)
Pitt Education faculty can receive support to move their courses to online, virtual, or alternative modes of instruction.
Zoom Video-Conferencing Service
- All University of Pittsburgh students, faculty, and staff have access to a Zoom account. To access your account, visit pitt.zoom.us and use your university credentials to log in.
- Training resources on using Zoom are available at the Zoom Help Center and the University Teaching and Learning Center's Getting Started With Zoom guide.
- To prevent "Zoom-bombing” and other potential security risks, Pitt Information Technology Services offers best practices in setting up and moderating meetings.
Support for Remote/Online Instruction
- Faculty can contact Dr. Tinukwa Boulder, Associate Professor and Director of Innovative Technologies and Online Learning in our School of Education, for direct assistance on moving coursework into a remote learning environment. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are experiencing technology issues, contact the School of Education technology team at email@example.com or 412-624-1414.
- The University Center for Teaching and Learning is hosting virtual workshops related to teaching remotely. Topics include the essentials for remote teaching, lecturing in remote environments, and facilitating discussions from a distance.
The School of Education Technology Team has compiled the following resources to assist faculty and staff in working remotely:
- Resource guides are available on the Technology page of the SOE Portal and through Pitt IT's Resources to Support Remote Work website.
- To set up call forwarding, follow these instructions for Skype phones and non-Skype phones.
- Be sure to have more than just your office phone set up for multi-factor authentication through Duo Mobile. Have multiple devices set as backups.
- For more information and/or assistance, contact the Help Desk by calling 412-624-1414, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by submitting a help ticket online via the SOE Portal.
- Pitt Information Technology Services offers best practices in setting up and moderating meetings via Zoom. The guide also includes information on how to avoid "Zoom-bombing" and other security risks.
Resources for Supervisors
- University Office of Human Resources supervisor's guide for managing remote workers
- Information on university's policy updates for paid sick leave and remote work arrangements
Resources for Faculty and Staff
- University Office of Human Resources guide for faculty and staff
Members of the School of Education community should visit the University of Pittsburgh's coronavirus website for the latest information on how Pitt's response will affect students, staff, and faculty.
Pitt has created informational pages based on the following categories:
- Undergraduate Students and Families
- Graduate, Professional Students, and Post-Docs
School of Education Contacts:
- Student Questions - Shederick McClendon, Assistant Dean of Student Engagement, at email@example.com.
- Faculty/Research Questions - Kevin Crowley, Associate Dean of Faculty and Research, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Staff Questions - Rochelle Woods, Senior Assistant Dean of Administration, Operations, and Academic Programs, at RLW75@pitt.edu.
In an effort to maintain community and wellness , the School of Education held informal virtual coffee breaks in spring 2020. School of Education students, faculty, and staff joined these virtual coffee breaks via Zoom to check-in on one another, and to socialize in a casual, safe, and engaging environment.
If you would like to host a future session, please contact Soenews@pitt.edu.
Local/State Health Resources
- The Allegheny County Health Department has a COVID-19 website with a hotline number and information for residents
- The Pennsylvania Department of Health has a website with resources, including fact sheets, FAQs, and more information
- Local health providers have created COVID-19 websites with information on testing services:
National/Global Health Resources
- CDC's Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) page from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- WHO's COVID-19 outbreak page from the World Health Organization
- Travel restrictions page from the U.S. Department of State
Faculty and staff in our School of Education have created comprehensive resource guides to support our School community.
- Framing this Moment: Resources, Cautions, and Opportunities - This resource guide provides support to our School community. Information includes resources on safety, physical health, mental health, culturally relevant teaching practices, homeschooling ideas, and resources for caring for others. View and download the guide (PDF).
- Emergency Instructional Guide - This resource guide, created by our School's Emergency Instructional team, provides resources to support the transition to remote teaching and guidance on using online tools. View and download the guide (PDF).
If you have questions about these materials, then contact the School of Education's Office of the Dean at SOEDeansOffice@pitt.edu.