Assistant Professor of Special Education
Teaching, Learning, and Leading Department
Anastasia Kokina is Assistant Professor of Special Education in the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Leading (TLL) at the School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh. She teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in Special Education including Foundations of Special Education, Research Seminar in Special Education, Autism Characteristics and Interventions and others. Her research interests include examination of interventions to reduce challenging behavior and improve social communication skills of students with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). She received her Ph.D. from Lehigh University. She has over 20 years of experience with students with disabilities and their families, both in the USA and her home country, Russia.
Department of Teaching, Learning, and Leading (TLL).
- Special Education
- Autism Certificate
- Early Intervention
- Foundations of Special Education
- Research Seminar in Special Education
- Autism Characteristics and Interventions
- Social Communication
- Applied Behavior Analysis
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Classroom Management
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
- Prevention and Intervention
- Special Education
- Kokina, A. & Bagdasarova, N. (2013). Community-based services for students with severe disabilities in Kyrgyzstan: The case of Umut Nadezhda Center. In K. Lapham & M. Rouse (Eds.), Learning to See Invisible Children: Inclusive Education in Central Asia. Budapest: Central European University Press.
- Kokina, A. & Kaczmarek, L.A., (2013). Social Story interventions for children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: Current evidence and unanswered questions. In V.B. Patel, V. Preedy, & C. Martin (Eds.), The Comprehensive Guide to Autism. Dordrecht, Heidelberg, London, New York: Springer.
- Papay, C., Bambara, L., Kokina, A., Kunsch, C., McCurdy, E., Cole, C., Swope, E., Harris, T., El-Attar, B. (2010). Community inclusion for adults with autism: Guidance for providers in Pennsylvania. Harrisburg, PA: Bureau of Autism Services, PA DPW.
- O'Dell, S., Vilardo, B., Kern, L., Kokina, A. et al. (2010). Journal of Positive Behavioral Interventions ten years later: An analysis of critical PBS features in intervention studies. Journal of Positive Behavioral Interventions, 13 (2), 78-86.
- Kokina A., & Kern, L. (2010). Social Stories for students with Autism: A meta-analysis. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 40 (7), 812-826.