Advisor and faculty in the following programs:
- Special Education Undergraduate Major in Teacher Education
- Special Education PK-12 MEd
- Minor in Secondary Education Scholarly Interests
Courses recently taught:
- Foundations of Special Education
- Introduction to Field Experiences - Secondary Education
- Instructional Methods for Students with High Incidence Disabilities
- Assessment and Instruction for Students with High Incidence Disabilities
- Kostewicz, D.E., Robertson, R. Conway, S.J. & Milner, R. (2017) Urban Special Education Scholars (USES): Leadership in Multi-Tiered Systems of Support in Urban Schools. Office of Special Education Projects, U.S. Department of Education. ($1,500,000). Key Personnel.
- Sobolak, M. & Conway, S.J. (2017) Implementing a Video Coaching Platform to Provide E-Mentoring during Teacher Education Clinical Experiences, Innovation in Education Award Grant, University of Pittsburgh ($6,020).
- Conway, S.J. & Sobolak, M. (2016) The Racial Gap between Teachers and Students: Parents' Perspectives, University of Pittsburgh, Office of Diversity ($1,500).
- Sobolak, M. & Conway, S.J. (2016) Supporting ALL students: Working effectively with LBGTQIA+ students, University of Pittsburgh, Office of Diversity. ($800).
- Lemons, C.J., Conway, S., Srsic, A., Kostewicz, D.E., & Lyon, S. (2012-2016). Restructuring and Improving Special Education (RISE). Office of Special Education Projects, U.S. Department of Education. ($1,494,765). Primary Investigator.
- Conway, S.J., Brennan, K. & Scott, P. (2017) A University Response to the Special Education Teacher Shortage: Extending Professional Development from Teacher Preparation into Novice Years. Pennsylvania Teacher Educator Journal pp. 43-53.
- Lemons, C.J., Al Otaiba, S., Conway, S.J., & Mellado De La Cruz, V.M. (2016). Improving professional development to enhance reading outcomes for students in special education. New Directions in Child and Adolescent Development.
Awards and Honors
- School of Education Dean's Distinguished Service Award 2022
- Special Education Research Accelarator Research Partner (2021-ongoing
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology INSPIRE Fellow (2018-2019)
- University of Pittsburgh Innovations in Education Award (2017)
- University of Pittsburgh Faculty Award for Exemplary Teaching (2014)
Engagement, Partnerships, and Professional Service
- National Task Force Association for Teacher Educators (ATE) on Addressing the Needs of the School-based Teacher Educator.
- Faculty Consultant on IES grant: Project FOCUS – A research study focusing on key factors associated with reading outcomes for students receiving Tier 3, dyslexia services and/or special education reading interventions. (PI - Al Otaiba, 2018)
- Faculty Consultant for Vanderbilt University and the OSEP Consortium (http://nclii.org/) to work with doctoral students from various Universities to design a course on Implementing Intensive Interventions. (PI - Lemons - 2018-2019)