Department of Health and Human Development
Susan Gillis Kruman (M.Ed. and RYT 500) is an Instructor and coordinator for the Dance Minor in the Department of Health and Human Development, where she currently teaches courses related to dance, yoga, and fitness. She is also the advisor to the Pitt Dance Ensemble producing three student concerts yearly.
Susan received her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in dance from the University of Utah and a Master of Education degree from the University of Pittsburgh. In New York City, she danced with Virgina Laidlaw Dance Theater and the Shoestring Dance Ensemble, and was a former director, choreographer, and dancer for the Pittsburgh Dance Alloy.
Her certifications include:
- 200-hour Yoga Alliance Certification
- 300-hour Yoga Alliance Certification
- Shining Light 85 hour prenatal yoga certification
- Dance History
- Dance Pedagogy
- Dance Production
- Lifetime Activities (Yoga and Dance)
- Yoga for Instructors
- Dance Performance
- Dance History
- Research in Dance and Yoga
- Gillis, Susan. (February 17, 2018) “Great Warm-Up Activities for Handlers.” Clean Run Magazine.
- Gillis, Susan. (October, 2014) “Contained–A Review”. A review of New Hazlett Community Artist Ella Mason. http://newhazletttheater.org/news/contained
- Kruman, Susan. (May 2007) “Diversity Across the Curriculum” A chapter about diversity in dance printed by Jossey-Bass/Anker Press.
- Internet Tutorial. Internet access for students taking the "Introduction to Dance" course. This online tutorial was created in 1986 to supplement student knowledge in the area of early modern dance history. The address is: http://www.pitt.edu/~gillis/dance
Awards and Honors
- Nominated for the National Dance Association College/University Teacher of the Year, 2009, American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance 2008
- Eastern District Association Teacher of the Year Award forCollege/University Dance, March, 2008, Newport, RI
- Honoree “Women in the Arts: Founders, Pioneers and Instigators.” New Hazlett Theater, June, 2007.
- Office of Student Affairs recognition of teaching letter of Commendation, April, 2000
- “Presidential Citation” National Dance Association award for services to the field of Dance by American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 2005
Engagement, Partnerships, and Professional Service
- Board Member, New Hazlett Theater, Pittsburgh , PA 2015-present
- Board Member, Attack Theatre (a Pittsburgh based modern dance company) 2006-2015
- Board Member of the Arts Education Collaborative, a pro-arts education group sponsored by the Carnegie Museum ofPittsburgh.2011-2014