Your Voice in the Student Experience
The Council of Graduate Students in Education (CGSE) is run by graduate students in the Pitt School of Education. As a graduate student of our school, you are automatically a member of the organization. The organization gives you a voice in shaping the student experience at the school and also provides student resources including funding for travel and research grants.
The CGSE represents the academic, social, and professional interests of all Pitt Education graduate students, with a focus on:
- Student representation in the governance of Pitt Education and the University of Pittsburgh
- Promotion of diversity, inclusion, and equity among the student body at Pitt Education
- Student professional development through activities, affiliations, and recruitment events
How CGSE Supports You
The CGSE provides you with the opportunity to engage in activities that develop your professional growth and success, including through:
- Sponsorship of academic and social events each year, including the fall and spring socials, the Annual Student Research Conference, the multicultural festival, and brown bag sessions
- Funding for small travel grants to support student participation in professional conferences
- The opportunity for leadership experience through the organization and through becoming active in the governance of the Pitt School of Education
CGSE Spring Research Conference
The annual CGSE Spring Research Conference is an excellent opportunity for students in Pitt Education to gain experience presenting their research. Participants give a traditional talk, roundtable discussion, and either a poster session or professional development and best practices workshop.
Extra Mile Award
Each year, the CGSE is responsible for administering the Extra Mile Award that honors a faculty member, administrator, or staff member who exemplifies the mission of the organization by virtue of going above and beyond the call of duty in their support of the school.
CGSE Sashes for Graduation
If you are a graduating from Pitt Education this semester and would like to have a sash from CGSE that says, "CGSE" on one side (spelled out) and then "SOE" on one side, fill out the request form. The deadline is Friday, April 15, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
University Resources for Students
The CGSE recognizes that strong academic advising and the development of a supportive network of mentors is critical to every graduate student's success. In addition, it is imperative for students to be supported in their health and wellness through the resources offered across the University of Pittsburgh.
- Mentoring resources for students
- CGSE Mentoring in Graduate School: A Quick Start Guide to Proteges (PDF)
Mentoring Graduate Students for a range of professional careers (UM, Humanities focus)
* A big thank you to our friends at the Pitt Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences for sharing these resources with CGSE
- Mental health resources for students
CGSE Contact Information
Contact the CGSE by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CGSE Leadership Team
- CGSE President Sendi J. Estrada email@example.com.
- CGSE Vice President Dylan Kapit firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CGSE Business Manager Cole D'Alicandro CGSE.email@example.com.
- CGSE Secretary Ogechi Irondi firstname.lastname@example.org.