Master of Science in Health and Wellness Management
The Master of Science (MS) program in Health and Physical Activity with a Concentration in Health and Wellness Management is a collaborative degree offering through the Department of Health and Physical Activity and the Katz Graduate School of Business. This academic graduate program is designed for students with academic training and experience in health-fitness and wellness with a desire to advance to a management level position.
- Program Duration: 18-24 months
- Time Commitment: Full-time or Part-time
- Term of Enrollment: Fall
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions with priority given to applications received by January 15 for all applicable graduate assistantships.
- Course Requirements: 30 credits
- Admissions Requirements: GRE exam required
Courses focus on applying evidence-based behavioral strategies to interactions with health-fitness participants and patient populations in order to enhance engagement, adherence, and the sustainability of lifestyle behaviors related to health. The program will include the development of strategic management skills for interacting with patients, enhancing organizational compliance, working with patients, and improving the listening skills of health coaches. The skills are applicable specifically to the health-fitness and healthcare settings.
As health and wellness employment opportunities are increasing, this dual-degree option expands the level of training of students and will build on their experience and knowledge in both the health-fitness and the business management fields. As a result, students will be prepared to transition to leadership positions (i.e. cardiac rehabilitation directors, health and wellness directors, YMCA directors, etc.).
Some courses will be offered online or in a hybrid manner to accommodate student needs.
- Comprehensive Examination is required based on key courses within the program. A minimum of 80% is required on this comprehensive examination.
Applicants need to meet admission requirements for both the Department of Health and Physical Activity and the Katz Graduate School of Business. These include:
Department of Health and Physical Activity Admission Requirements:
- Demonstrate undergraduate coursework in human anatomy, human physiology, and exercise physiology. Applicants without this training can be admitted provisionally and will be required to take these undergraduate courses prior to full admission.
The Katz Graduate School of Business Admission Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. university, as determined by the Commission on Recognition of Postsecondary Accreditation, or the non-U.S. equivalent.
- Official and satisfactory GMAT or GRE scores. For International Students, a minimal TOEFL score of 100 or a minimal IELTS score of 7.
- Management and business careers in health and wellness settings (e.g., cardiac rehabilitation directors, health and wellness directors, YMCA directors, etc.).