Supervisor of Special Education Certificate
The Supervisor of Special Education Certification Program is an advanced graduate program designed to help meet the growing demand for well trained and experienced individuals who can provide leadership in special education at the district or Intermediate Unit levels. This course of study is appropriate for individuals preparing for a professional position with primary responsibility in supervising educational programs and directing the activities of professional and non-professional employees in special education programs.
This part-time, hybrid program is offered to candidates who have demonstrated through previous coursework, qualifying work experience, letters of recommendation, and a personal goal statement that they have the appropriate oral and written communication skills, organizational ability and personal motivation to pursue the professional position of Supervisor of Special Education. Then, through coursework and an internship (15 credits), candidates have the opportunity to develop knowledge of and competence in the fundamental concepts of supervising special education programs.
- Program Duration: On average, students complete the program in two years.
- Time Commitment: Part-time
- Term of Enrollment: Rolling
- Course Requirements: 15 credits (includes coursework/internship)
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Admissions Requirements: GRE Exam Not Required
The Supervisor of Special Education Certification program is a part-time, hybrid program featuring 1 course per semester and a flexible internship that results in Pennsylvania Department of Education Certification.
This program provides candidates with the knowledge necessary to implement high quality programming for individuals with disabilities and to comply with federal and state regulations. The major distinguishing characteristic of this program is the application of supervisory theory to teaching and learning of students with disabilities.
Students register for 3 credits of coursework per semester:
- Current Issues and Trends in Special Education (3)
- Instructional Practices in Special Education (3)
- Legal and Legislative Foundations of Special Education (3)
- Supervision of Special Education/Financing Special Education (3)
Student are also required to complete a 3-credit internship, which provides opportunities to learn more practically the duties, roles, and responsibilities of supervisors/administrators in special education. Students are required to secure a local, on-site mentor with whom to collaborate in completing the required activities.
In order to pursue the Supervisor of Special Education certification, students will need to show evidence of:
- An earned special education or related services certificate obtained in the United States.
- Prior experience (five years on the special education or related services certificate is required in order to process the application for PDE certification). This experience must be verified by PDE using the Verification of Experience Form PDE 338 V.
The Supervisor of Special Education Certificate prepares graduates for a variety of special education administration and supervision positions.