STEAM Education is a powerful educational movement aiming to transform the way we think about schools today. STEAM stands for science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. By integrating the arts into STEM, we can increase innovation and provide an interesting, different, and collaborative way to view the world and solve problems. Furthermore, incorporating the arts and humanities into STEM engages learners who might not traditionally be interested in in these fields.
- Program Duration: 4 courses (1 course is taken per semester)
- Time Commitment: Part-time
- Term of Enrollment: Summer, beginning with the course IL 2008: STEAM Instructional Design
- Application Deadline: Rolling
- Course Requirements: 12 credits
- Format: Completely online and asynchronous
- Admissions Requirements: No GRE exam required
- Stackable Format: Can be taken as part of the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction program. The four courses will count toward the degree.
The goal of STEAM is simple: to engage learners in real-world, relevant problem solving that requires a high level of discipline integration. The STEAM Education certificate is comprised of 4 courses, which, when combined, address four essential components of teaching and learning: instructional design, pedagogy, assessment, and application/reflection. The titles of the courses are:
- IL-2008: STEAM Instructional Design
- IL-2007: STEAM Transdisciplinary Learning Approaches,
- IL-2009: STEAM Assessment
- IL-2010: STEAM Implementation
You must have access to a classroom or other learning space to implement a STEAM unit in the third course. If you are applying for the PA STEM Endorsement or Act 48 credits, you must hold a current PA teachers license.
After completion of this certificate, current PA teacher license holders are eligible for the PA Department of Education's STEM Endorsement.
There are not any prerequisites.
For questions about the courses and program, please contact:
Professor Cassie Quigley
STEAM Program Director
- STEAM Teacher
- Makerspace Educator
- After-School Curriculum Coordinator
- Technology Educator
- Curriculum Developer
- Engineering Teacher