Application Requirements for Master's Students
Congratulations on your interest in enrolling in the Pitt School of Education. You will be joining a world-class institution that is deeply committed to transforming educational systems through greater equity and justice in education. Our faculty are at the top of their fields and welcome the opportunity to work closely with you as you pursue your degree.
We currently offer over 50 degree and certificate programs for master's students.
Master's Admission Deadlines
Our enrollment deadlines vary by program. Please visit the web page of your program of interest for its specific deadlines. You are also welcome to direct questions to our Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services at email@example.com or 412-648-2230.
Master's Admissions Guidelines
To be considered for our master's programs, your admissions materials must include the following basic elements. Please visit the web page of your program of interest to see if there are additional program requirements.
- Applications are submitted through the Pitt Education Online Application Form
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $50 (USD) to be paid by credit card
- Your online application must include (a.) a Goal statement, (b.) your resume or curriculum vita, and (c.) contact information for three academic or professional contacts to later be invited to provide letters of recommendation
- The instructions for your goal statement are as follows: "Please share your reasons for pursuing a degree at the University of Pittsburgh School of Education, focusing on your long-term goals and how your academic program will help you achieve those goals. Include any aspects of your experience, skills, and background which may aid the admission committee in evaluating your fit for the program for which you are applying. Your goal statement should be a maximum of 750 words."
Need-Based Application Fee Waiver
Applicants may be eligible for a need-based application fee waiver due to:
- Pell eligibility within the last three years
- Recent participation in federal, state, or local programs that aid students from low-income families
- Qualification for public assistance
- Otherwise demonstrable financial hardship, including emergency expenses or unexpected medical bills
If you believe that you are eligible for a need-based fee waiver, please submit your request HERE. Our admissions staff will review your request, and reach back out to assist you in completing your application. The School of Education reserves the right to request any necessary documentation.
- Official transcripts from every institution previously attended can be sent to us electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to us at "School of Education Admissions and Enrollment Services, 5500 Posvar Hall, 230 South Bouquet Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260"
- Any courses that you took or degrees that you earned from the University of Pittsburgh after 2008 do not need to be sent. Our office can obtain these transcripts internally.
Additional Requirements for Teacher Preparation Programs Only
- For Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and MOSAIC applicants - Completion of Documentation of 30 hours of Education-Related Experience Form.
- For Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) applicants - Completion of our Online Transcript review.
- For Foreign Language Education applicants - Completion of an Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) to be scheduled through the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language (ACTFL).