FAQ - Teacher Education

How can I become a teacher in PA?

To be eligible for Pennsylvania Instructional-I teaching certification, you must: pass the PRAXIS I & II exams in your area of certification successfully complete your coursework and internship or student teaching successfully complete the PA Statewide Evaluation Form for Student Professional Knowledge and Practice (PDE 430).

Our School offers several graduate programs leading to teacher certification. You can read about these programs in greater detail online, and you can also attend a weekly teacher information session to learn more about the application process

How do I determine what teacher certification program is the right one for me?

Read about all of our teacher certification programs and involve yourself in volunteer and/or paid positions that afford you the opportunity to work with a variety of different age groups and types of students.

How do I determine if I have fulfilled the prerequisite courses a teacher certification program?

You are encouraged to complete an Online Transcript Review. You do not need to have completed ALL prerequisites at the time you submit an application; however, they must be satisfied by the time your intended program will begin (Summer-II for MAT; Fall for PY).

How do I register for a required admissions test and how will you get my scores?

The following links will direct you to information from Educational Testing Service about admission tests (which, may be required depending upon your specific program of interest). When taking a test, please be sure to indicate the relevant school code(s) so that we receive an official score report.

  • PRAXIS - University of Pittsburgh institution code (R2927)
  • GRE - University of Pittsburgh institution code (R2927); School of Education department code (3999)
  • TOEFL - University of Pittsburgh institution code (2927); School of Education department code (85)
What teacher certificate do I earn after completing the Instructional I or MAT program?

Teacher preparation candidates who meet the Pennsylvania Department of Education's (PDE) requirement criteria earn an Instructional I teaching certificate, often referred to as a "provisional certificate". Instructional II certification or "permanent certification" is granted by PDE to teachers who meet the following criteria: hold a valid Instructional I certificate; have completed a teacher induction program; have three years of satisfactory teaching experience in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; and have completed 24 post-baccalaureate credits.

What is an intern certificate?

This is a special certificate issued by PED. MAT students are required to earn an Intern Certificate in order to complete the intensive classroom-based training, which correlates with their coursework at the University. Without an Intern Certificate, students can only function as student teachers in their respective districts. Refer to the PA Department of Education for more information.

Can I teach in other states with a PA instructional teaching certificate?

Currently, there are Interstate Agreements in place for those with a PA Instructional I certificate, and the PA certification is generally considered to be one of the strongest across the country. If your destination state is known, you should contact that state's Department of Education to find out more details of the agreement.

What is Act 48?

All certified school personnel are covered under Act 48. Effective July 1, 2000, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania enacted Act 48, mandating a continuing professional education program for educators to maintain active certification.


How do I earn Act 48 credits and submit my courses or hours for credit?

Please visit our Act 48 web site for information on complying with Act 48 and reporting your credits or hours to the PA Department of Education.