PhD in Science Education
The PhD in Science Education is designed to prepare professors of science to work as professors of science in research-oriented universities and to teach science courses or guide the preparation of science teachers at the elementary and secondary levels.
- Program Duration: 5 years on average
- Time Commitment: Full-time program of study
- Term of Enrollment: Fall term
- Application Deadline: December 1
- Course Requirements: 90 credits
- Application Requirements: GRE exam is not required
Our PhD program in Science Education prepares you to conduct scholarly research and development projects in science education, as well as to serve as a faculty member in a research-oriented university. The program also prepares you to teach science education courses or to instruct other teachers who teach science education.
From the beginning of the program, you will have opportunities to work with faculty in research activities, eventually developing your own lines of interest, which you will pursue through the dissertation phase and beyond.
Potential areas of study include the following:
- The use of curriculum resources by beginning teachers
- Application of research in the history and philosophy of science
- Understanding teaching and learning in secondary and tertiary educational settings
- Use of analysis frameworks to study teacher and student talk in math and science classrooms
The degree has 90 required credits.
|Major Field Studies||30 - 36|
|Supervised Research Practica||6|
|Minor Field Area||9 - 18 minimum|
|Research Methods||12 minimum|
|Doctoral Dissertation Research||18|
|Total Required Credits||90|
The Science Education faculty strongly recommend that applicants have:
- a Master's degree in a basic science field; or
- an undergraduate degree in a basic science field and 9 master's-level credits in a basic science field
The PhD in Science Education prepares you for such roles as:
- Faculty member at a research-oriented university
- Instructor of science education at elementary or secondary levels
- Educator of other teachers in science education